An alternative style birthday cake that still packs a punch! This lemon and poppy seed drizzle cake is finished with a limoncello icing that is so sharp and tangy (with a little kick) that you can't help but go back for more.
I have a bit of a love for bundt cakes, my bundt tin collection is verging on obsessive, I think the end result is so striking without being over the top and they are much easier to slice, it's a win win!
INGREDIENTS250g unsalted butter
250g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
250g caster sugar
4 large eggs
50g ground almonds
Zest of 4 lemons
3 tbsp poppy seeds
Juice of 4 lemons
FOR THE DRIZZLE
8 tbsp caster sugar
2 tbsp limoncello
125g icing sugar
FOR THE ICING
1 tbsp limoncello
Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan. Grease a 10 inch bundt tin and set aside.
- Sifting the flour and baking powder, add all of the ingredients, apart from the poppy seeds, to a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined. Use a spatula to scrape the bowl to ensure the mixture is thoroughly mixed.
- Pour in the poppy seeds and gently mix until evenly dispersed.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes. Insert a skewer, if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
- Around 10 minutes before the cake is ready make the drizzle. Put the lemon juice and sugar into a small pan. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Once dissolved increase the heat slightly and let it boil for 1 minute. Add the limoncello and let it boil for another minute, take off the heat and set aside.
- When the cake is ready allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tin. Then, make holes using a skewer all over the cake surface, brush on half of the lemon drizzle.
- Allow to cool for another 5 minutes than turn out onto a wire rack. Make more holes in the top of the cake and brush on the remaining the drizzle. Leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile to make the icing. Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix, with a spoon, until you have a thick icing.
- Once the cake is cool place on a cake board/serving plate and drizzle over the icing, if it runs down the sides, fantastic!
- Decorate with a few raspberries, blueberries and almonds and cut into wedges to serve.