What's my contribution I hear you ask, this deliciously sticky and incredibly moreish gingerbread spice cake.
200g black treacle
300g dark muscovado sugar
200g unsalted butter
2 large eggs, beaten
200g plain flour
1/2 zest of orange
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
225ml natural yoghurt
FOR THE TOPPING
75ml icing sugar
fresh pomegranate seeds
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease a 20cm cake tin.
- Place the butter, treacle and sugar in a saucepan and gently heat until the butter and sugar have melted.
- Take off the heat and beat in the egg using a balloon whisk.
- Sieve the flour, bicarb of soda, ginger and cinnamon into a large bowl. Pour in the sugar and butter mixture and again mix using a balloon whisk until combined. Add the yoghurt and stir well until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the greased tin and place in the oven for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Place some foil over the cake halfway through cooking if it is starting to brown too much.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 30 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the topping place the icing sugar in a bowl and pour a little warm water, a tablespoon should be enough, into the bowl and mix well. Sparingly add more water until you have a thick runny icing.
- Drizzle the icing over the cake and scatter with pomegranate seeds. Leave for 20 minutes for the icing to set and then serve.