I'm not too sure what took me so long, maybe all of the horror stories surrounding baking, baked cheesecake. That's why there are so many no bake, fridge only, cheesecake recipes out there right? Turns out the answer is no! I found a super simple recipe on the Jamie Oliver website (surprising as normally his recipes, whilst totally delicious, are a little complicated). This does produce quite a lemony tasting cheesecake so I have amended the recipe slightly for next time so that the vanilla flavour comes through more strongly.
INGREDIENTS250g crushed digestive biscuits
150g melted unsalted butter
115g caster sugar
3 tbsp. cornflour
900g full-fat cream cheese (room temperature)
2 large eggs
115 ml double cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 180C, grease and line a 24cm (9 inch) spring form cake tin.
- To prepare the base, mix the biscuits and melted butter in a bowl. Press evenly into the base the tin. Place in the oven for 10 minutes then remove and place on a wire rack to cool (still in the cake tin).
- Increase the oven temperature to 200C. Combine the sugar and cornflour in a mixing bowl.
- Add the cream cheese and beat with an electric whisk until creamy.
- Add the eggs and beat well until combine. Gradually add the cream, beating until smooth then beat in the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Tip the mixture into the tin, on top of the pre-prepared base, and level the surface. Place the tin on top of a baking tray and place in the centre of the oven.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is browned and the filling set around the edges, whilst still with a slight wobble. Place a piece of foil over the top to stop it browning too much.
- Allow the cheesecake to cool completely and then place in the fridge for at least 3 hours.
Did you ever eat anything abroad that you wish you could have brought home/made yourself? If I could create any of the dishes eaten on Italian holidays I would be over the moon!