125g unsalted butter
110g caster sugar
225g plain flour
your favourite flavour jam
icing sugar to dust
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg and vanilla essence and beat for a further 2-3 minutes until combined.
- Sift the flour into the bowl and beat again until the mixture just comes together as soft dough. (If you don't have a dough hook this will take 10-15 minutes)
- Place the dough between two sheets of non-stick baking paper and roll out to around 3mm thickness. Place in the fridge for 1 hour or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 160C and line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Remove from the fridge and cut out 24 fluted square shapes. Cut your chosen smaller shapes out of half of the squares. Place onto the baking trays and bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden.
- Leave on the tray to cool for a few minutes before moving to a wire rack. Dust the cut out squares with icing sugar, spread jam on the other squares and sandwich together.
If I do say so myself these taste even better than shop bought jammy dodgers hence why my main tip is to bake two batches, they won't last two minutes!